[MeeGo-community] Extras/Surrounds Re: [meego-packaging] [meego-commits] 11098: New package Trunk:Testing/kernel-adaptation-oaktrail
andrew at bleb.org
Thu Dec 30 10:16:59 PST 2010
On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:42, David Greaves <david at dgreaves.com> wrote:
> np - I guess I'm a bit frustrated about the general lack of involvement in
> this area :)
> I'm going to try and think about this whole area and write some stuff up -
> any discussion is welcome
I've been thinking about this as well. I think it's time to revise the
Community Repository Working Group idea again.
My take on David's original proposal, a group sanctioned by the TSG:
* To ensure a vibrant and quality area for community
open source software.
* To have at least one repository which contains software of
such quality that vendors (such as Nokia) who would be
willing to ship it enabled on devices out-of-the-box.
* To work towards having applications within the community
repositories be able to be classed as "MeeGo Compliant".
* Management of the community OBS, the repositories it hosts,
and the packages contained within it.
* Policies and procedures (including QA) governing the
* Align policies where possible, to ease the path for packages
from the community repositories to the MeeGo trunk as well as
application stores such as Ovi or AppUp.
* Work with the compliance folks on an approach acceptable to
all on third-party software compliance
* Niels Breet
* David Greaves
* TBC (a MeeGo architect)
* TBC (a developer, like Graham Cobb/Shane Bryan/so many others)
* TBC (someone to help with the work ;-))
This is a paring down of the original proposal, to concentrate on the
core mission and with the aim of getting it officially sanctioned by
Comments, as ever, welcome.
 This may be the creation of an "Extras Profile" which sits
alongside the vertical-market profiles. Briefly discussed with
Mark Skarpness at the Conference, the CRWG would then be
responsible for drafting the compliance criteria (in the same
way the Handset folk do the Handset Profile etc.). This would
require extensive collaboration, of course - and is one of
the reasons a formal working group is required.
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew at bleb.org | http://www.bleb.org/
Maemo Community Council member
More information about the MeeGo-community