[MeeGo-dev] Remote developing platform, remote building, personal/team repositories...
wstephenson at kde.org
Wed Feb 17 03:01:41 CST 2010
On Wednesday 17 February 2010 09:35:27 Peter Antoniac wrote:
> I've been discussing earlier internally with Nokia as well as Intel
> guys but perhaps it is a good time now to bring this idea forward: how
> about an universal build/repository farm.
This is what the OBS provides:
* package repository
* automated builds (including dependent packages)
* publish to native distro repositories
* mirroring infrastructure
* personal projects and derived repositories
* git-like branching of packages and collaboration mechanism, enabling layers
of contribution and review 
* change notification system
* open interfaces to hook Your Own Stuff into it
* (in progress) automatic fetching of code out of source code management
systems and building/packaging it
* publish repo URLs of results to app stores (eg kde-apps.org, and other
> Similar to the one provided
> by Canonical's Launchpad.
> Then, the MeeGo developer just writes the
> code and pushes the code to the repository. The rest is done
> automatically. It won't even matter what package management tool is
> used, it could build also for multiple architectures. How about
> investing in this infrastructure? I could see a combination of OBS 
> and Launchpad PPA  as a winner for the future of MeeGo...
Launchpad does a lot of other things but the OBS as developed at openSUSE
already covers what you describe. <hype>And it's always been open, it's
hosted at gitorious, and contributions are welcome.</hype>
More information about the MeeGo-dev