[meego-packaging] Distributing the ARM work, sponsored uploads procedure approval
carsten at maemo.org
Fri Feb 25 02:33:31 PST 2011
[now with correct originating email..]
Hi Rolla (and rest of committers),
We're talking a bit about how to have more people outside the MeeGo
N900 team to help/assist when ARM build failures arise (which happens
fairly little these days).
Some things have changed recently:
* The build.meego.com OBS is now transparent, ie, anyone can see any
problems and build logs
* The community OBS, build.pub.meego.com now has a OBS link to
build.meego.com, so people without a build.meego.com account can
branch packages and work on them, fix them, etc.
* There is a bigger need to distribute the ARM port work across many
different companies and individuals than being centered around a Nokia
team after recent announcements.
What I'm proposing (and would like a OK from you that we can operate
in this way) is the following steps:
* Establishment of a sponsored uploads procedure.
Sponsored uploads is basically "someone with a build.meego.com account
(committer) helps someone without (contributor) to submit packaging
changes to Trunk". Committers will initially be the N900 hardware
adaptation team + anyone interested in helping.
1) Contributor works on package using OBS branching in community OBS
and completes fix. He/She performs all the procedures as described in
2) Contributor mails to meego-packaging@ requesting a sponsored upload
of his changes, prefix [PATCH] <packagename>: <brief summary>. He/she
* What he changed (the commit message as in normal submitrequests)
* Signed-off-by: (as per
* An URL for his changes to be reviewed, such as:
* Repository and package in community OBS
3) Committer picks up submission, reviews as per release engineering
procedures, if not OK, mail back to submitter.
4) If OK, committer branches the package, applies the changes,
submitreqs it to the right place (Trunk:Testing, devel:*), having the
following submit message:
Signed-off-by: line from original mail
5) Patch submitted, problem fixed :)
Initial restriction for security reasons can be that binary uploads
can't be sponsored (new tarballs), just patches.
* Establishment of ability to recommend and get build.meego.com
accounts for people based on their active contributions
This is more of a policy thing - at some point we might have people
who submit so many fixes it's just easier to let them submit directly
- meritocracy :) Committers would recommend new committers through the
"Build Service Accounts" bugzilla component, pointing to their
successful work on mailing list archives.
* Continue filing bugs/reporting to meego-packaging@ when packages
stop to build (as is currently done)
Is this procedure OK with you? - it can probably be extended to other
areas than just ARM build problems.
MeeGo Nokia N900 hardware adaptation maintainer
More information about the MeeGo-packaging